Friday, November 6, 2009

Should Gifted Kids Always Take the Hardest Classes?

I pose this question to you and I truly do not have an answer myself. I'm looking for help with forming my opinion. Should kids always take more difficult classes just because they are gifted?

For example, I have a student who is 99th percentile quantitatively. He asked me today if he could be dropped down to the regular math class. Not because he didn't understand the concepts, not because he could not keep up, but because he really just didn't want to work that hard.

Is that okay? Should we allow them to do that? What do you think? I have wondered that myself for my own children.

4 comments:

  1. That is what I was thinking. I like your idea that it is okay if they want to spend more time on other passions. I hadn't thought of that. Would you be okay if that passion were sports, music, skate boarding, or reading? Just anything that they are passionate about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. My son is gifted across a broad spectrum as was (am?) I, but trying to go all out at all things is exhausting and tends to spread one so thin that one becomes a "jack of all trades and master of none." That is precisely what happened to me--I can do many, many things well, but never developed into a true master, inventor, or explorer at anything. If your son has something else he's more interested in and that he's pursuing, I'd let him back off on the math.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too think of myself as a 'jack of all trades & master of none'. But I often wonder if that is because I get bored and move on quickly if something dosn't hold my interest...which is most things. Don't you think that a lot of gifted students/people are the same way?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marlene, good point. Perhaps it's a bit of both.

    ReplyDelete